Sunday 21 June 2015

Gravitas! (For fathers)

Like the seasons, my days with my father have been
 
Like Harmattan -- dried by the cold and harsh winds

 Like the rainy seasons -- warm and growing all hopes I have dreamed of.
 
But there is more:
There were times when my heart were just like a molten magma;
There were times when I broke his heart
And he would smile and fix it back together.
There were times when all my emotions were like a blank sheet
And I would wait for him to come home early enough
To write on it the letters of the alphabet.
But all in these, he would take a pen
And draw on my heart
Something more than ABC,
He drew on it love, confidence and how to be a man.
 

 He always said to me in the darkest night,
"There are days and there are nights
The world has never been fair
And sometimes, there seems no light
Because there is no tunnel
But a wicked world with no lights;
Look up into the skies and note that
There is always a moon which shines
Not so bright but enough to keep the monsters away"
Yet again, I never understood
Because those were the times
When my heart was just volcanic,
When I failed to see
That every wrong step I took
Caused a tear in his eyes
And he wouldn't cry it off
Because the society says
"We should be men".
 

 And he took me by the hand
And said
"Hey boy, one day, you're going to thank me"
Now I remember those moments
And understand that those actions were wrong.
I was young, wild and free
And I only danced round in circles with folly.
But when the music died down
And I was about to fall
He was there to catch me.
 
 
Gravitas! That's what it has always been.
And that is how he wanted me to look.
 
 
 
DEDICATED TO EDGAR ALLAN POE

0 comments:

Post a Comment