Thursday 28 June 2018

Home (Co-written by Afrifa)


How do I start this poem
Without breaking into two
Into what it is and what should be
I came here to find a home
Far away from demons that haunt me at night
I thought it would be easy……
Skyscrapers, beautiful girls and beautiful beaches.
Yet there is something about this new home
That reminds me of the old one.



Last night I cried as I stood awake
Trying to recount how it went wrong
And each time it made no sense.
How did heaven become a town
Where angels cry all day
While God is quiet
Wandering the corridors at night
How did skyscrapers all come down at my feet
While wondering how to rebuild
A home away from home
The picture of the old and the new
All bend to fit perfectly like a bad dream


How do I end this poem
Without asking myself if it is a poem
My expectations of an easy life…
Boy how far wrong can I be
Nowhere cool, yet this is different
There you pick your battles, here you are the battle
And when I lay up at night, deprived of sleep
I long to be home
Then I remember, what they say
Home is where the heart is
Yes I thought it will be easy..
Skating parks, underground malls and bullet trains
I yearn to create a balance
Between the past and the future
Staring at the snowy skies
Wondering how I got here.
Now I no longer dream as a child
The picture of old and new, now merge in fine details
A young man running his hand over his face
Shaping his tears into joy
with a sunny future in his hair.

This poem is from THE QUIETIST. Copies of THE QUIETIST are still available on Amazon and in Ghana

0 comments:

Post a Comment