Monday 3 March 2014

Amma Konadu Anarfi








The apple
Sits atop an old book
- its yellowed leaves
Coated with decades of dust

The deep rouge of the fruit
Gives it a classic look 
of perfection

It sits there
Beckoning.


ROGUE DISTRACTION! Even sounds classic, doesn’t it? Amma Konadu Anarfi hits poetry right on its head and you sit down like a Pillar of Salt and wonder how a beautiful damsel can sit down and create something of this sophistication and magnificence.

To begin with, Amma Konadu is a good writer. There is no doubt about it. I wonder who will try and contest it. I do not read her works, her works rather read to me. To read her works, you do not have to be an avid reader or an English “geek”, her works will explain itself to you

I met Amma Konadu on twitter and her works have captivated me ever since. There are some people you meet and forget the same instance. There are others you meet and they impact so much in your life for a lifetime. Amma falls in the category of the latter.

At a time when Ghanaian literature is going downhill, I see Amma as one of the people who can help lift the image of literature in Ghana and put Ghana on the pedestal as we have all wanted and needed it to be. Meeting her on 28th February and 1st March 2014 was my biggest moments. I finally got to see the face behind those beautiful posts and tweets. I finally got the chance to interact with the lady who through her words has re-created life.

So when she sang to me and Amma Toffet that day, I melted away like butter. Not only does she have a powerful writing but also a voice that can melt your heart away. :) <Yes I said it>

On the aforesaid dates, I also met another poet Kwabena Agyare and literature enthusiast Ama Toffet who have also shaped my life about literature in general. The picturesque conversations we had have also shown me the power of poetry and how we can use our words and works for the benefit of society.


Mirror-surfaced
Red beauty
Looks ready to burst-
Taut with sweetness

Strange hunger draws me
To that scene

I sit
And stare

The seconds pass
A sigh escapes

Reaching out
For the food in sight
I eagerly devour it

Slowly
As the hunger leaves

The apple sits
And stares

3 comments:

  1. Ama has a really interesting 'confessional' writing style that i like a lot

    ReplyDelete
  2. ok so i don't know what to say...this is much appreciated. :) It was good meeting other writers and interacting. I would love to do it again anytime I pass through Kumasi.

    ReplyDelete