Sunday 6 April 2014

Short Story: ELECTRIC CASTLE

THE DEATH OF A BRIDEGROOM AND HIS BRIDE 
















JOY was the only child of her parent, I, on the other hand was the 7th child of my parent. Growing up, I had to compete with my older brothers for attention; it wasn’t easy at all. Yet, when I met Joy, things were rather the opposite. There was absolutely no doubt that she loved me but my love for her walked on the path of the questionable! Now, there she was! Dead! Dead! Dead! Dead, as Charles Dickens would describe “as a door-nail.” Death is like a monster which takes whatever it wants without considering how other people will feel because of his actions.

She was immobile, I looked at her and tears began to fall from my eyes. I have murdered my bride. She was dead and I was crying; this is a natural series of event. I couldn’t laugh, what would her parents even think of me? How will the society even see me? Deep down, I was happy, I was free as the wind, I could explore other areas. I could explore other forest, engage in a life of promiscuity which had been taken away from me because I was with Joy. I could enjoy my sexual diarrhoea and not even bother to look for a cure for it. Yet, I rejoiced but rather too quickly. Joy is like a mirror which breaks easily and once it is broken, you will look at it and still see your dented image in it.

As I was at the mortuary shedding tears (crocodile or snakes tears, I cannot tell), I saw my world began to ebb away, my heart began to fail me; it couldn’t take me to the finish line. Then I saw a white light, I tried to scream but the words got choked in my throat, my hands and feet became numb. I could see my father rushing towards me, calling me, my mother was on the floor weeping. The doctor was trying to rescue me, everyone tried to gather around me all at once. Everything and everyone was in a pandemonium. I tried to touch my father just to assure him that his son would be okay but then it only passed through him. Reality dawned on me. Not so fast, I felt someone touch me on my shoulder and I began to smile. Yet, I smiled but rather too quickly. Smile is like a whitewash which fades off quickly and once it fades of, the true colour of the wall emerges.

I turned only to see Joy smiling at me. I screamed “Get out of here! You are dead! You are dead as a door-nail”
She gave the broadest smile ever and retorted “And so are you?”
“You killed me! You wicked woman! At least let me live! You wicked woman”
“You see, your idiosyncrasy is rather annoying. You see, I am not even calling you names. Or, were you expecting to be living after all what you did to me? Kwasi, you killed me! You poisoned me on my wedding day and what were you expecting? To live long, marry another woman. Inherit my property, go about sleeping with other woman. Having the fun of your life whilst I sit here starring at you from the other side just cursing myself for the foolish mistake I ever did. You see, I was so foolish in love but then I was not foolish when I had you to make the blood covenant with me. The agreement was simple “He who dies first has only an hour more to live before joining the other partner. Now, I have built a place for you and I, a place of torture and guess what”

I looked at her sheepishly! I had no defense. That was so characteristic of Joy. She could speak for long hours without taking a break. I looked at her smiling again, she kissed me and continued “A lovely abode called “THE ELECTRIC CASTLE”

TO BE CONTINUED!


BASED ON THE POEM "ELECTRIC CASTLE" CLICK  http://jyfstore.blogspot.com/2014/01/free-download-electric-castle-pdf.html TO DOWNLOAD

0 comments:

Post a Comment