Monday 7 March 2016

IF Hope was an ocean (co-written by Kodwo Hybrid)

If Hope was an ocean 
Ghana would have been a landlocked country! 
I have known Ghana 
And she has known me. 
In all these years we had known each other,
I used to believe like she did 
That she will one day be as beautiful as she was meant to be
But time has told me in a baritone voice that 
It never will
Yet my heart refuses to accept this stark reality.


If hope was a dry land
Ghana would have been a waterlogged region
I have known Ghana
The beautiful seashells on the coast
The evergreen vegetation on the northern belt 
A bundle of joy and humanity rising from the east
The gold and oil dripping from the corners of the western sun
I have known these lands
the same way the soil knows these grounds 
Yet, I'm unable to fix the puzzle 
She's unable to rise from the ashes of all these..
On the crossroads, 
I join the birds to hum 
and sway my head along the gentle melody.

0 comments:

Post a Comment