Monday 1 May 2017

Poem: #Photograph (by Kofi Kyei & JYF)


You remember when we fell in love,
We stood on a bridge and took a photograph.
You said looking straight at me
“Kumasi will be too small for us”
And I replied 
“Too small for us to even breath
We will turn Patasi to a watershed
Turn Asokwa to our bedroom
And Manhyia into an aquarium.” 
Now this photograph is a mere toothache 
Of a failed relationship set upon a broken glass.

Starring at the photograph of you and I 
It looks like I’m looking at you
But I’m looking through your promises
That never bloomed like Roses and Forget Me Nots.
The last thing I said to you was I hated you,
I didn’t say it out of hate or anger but 
I said it out of love
I kept telling myself I’ll be fine
But truthfully it feels like I broke my spine 
I heard that photographs don’t change
Just the people inside of them do
You left me in disarray 
All I have left is the air you took away
I’ll keep a photograph of you on the wall
Praying you’d come back home
Back to the time that
We said Kumasi will be too small for us. 
Only that this time
I will hold you and breath in
The air you breath out
So you know that
When you cry I cry too.


JYF
Kofi Kyei

0 comments:

Post a Comment